Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On My Back Porch





When we built this house, I had romantic visions of spending a lot of time on this back porch, but in reality, I've spent very little time here.  Truth is, it faces west, so late afternoons are generally hot as blue blazes, and then, there are the annoying lake bugs (some kind of gnatty things that descend upon us in swarms many evenings), and of course, in summer, it's so hot and humid that you just want to run back in to the air conditioned living room about 25 seconds after you step out the back door -- if you step out the back door.  But, Sunday was the most lovely mild day here - high temp around 71, low humidity, no bugs -- it was wonderful.  So, I gathered up my tea and sewing and spent a very lovely couple of hours out on the porch listening to the Van Morrison station on Pandora (thanks for the suggestion Jess!) and just thoroughly enjoying the slow afternoon -- where I was joined by a curious kitty . . .


or two ;) . . .


as I thumbed through embroidery books, dreamed about new projects, and admired the newly planted agapanthus.


I noticed there seemed to be a pink and green color theme to the day . . .

and I finished the second of my embroidered pillowcases --- well, at least the monogram part (pattern found in this lovely book).


Something in recent years seems to be calling me to a simpler life.  Do you feel that too?  Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's the 'medical condition' telling me to slow down and simplify.  I don't know, but I seem to feel  a longing for a different life -- one less cluttered with the complications of our modern world. 


I've read recently about some folks choosing one day of the week to unplug --- just one day - maybe Sunday.  Could we do it?  I don't know.  That would mean no golf channel for Mr. FC, no Masterpiece Theater for me ;).  Oh well, it's all in the balance I suppose, isn't it?  And I'll continue to try to find it.  So, maybe now is a good time to step away from the computer, you think?

Wishing you slower days and simpler lives and lovely cool days on your back porch,

♥ ♥ ♥

G














12 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

it's so great to catch up with you Gigi...I love your sitting spot and would have loved to have joined you on Sunday. You've got a beautiful place to relax..I hope you get some more good temp days to enjoy it. Your pillowcases are mini works of art!

dottycookie said...

what a treat to sit and stitch in glorious surroundings. I never think to sew outside - our garden is quite small and always seems to need stuff doing to it so I rarely just sit. That makes me rather sad actually!

GardenofDaisies said...

I love those cool, bug free days and evenings too. Your plants are cheery, the view green and lovely, the kitties super cute, and the pillowcase embroidery gorgeous. Here's hoping that you have many more good days than bad. Take care.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

It sounds like an absolutely lovely day. I so relate to your wanting to make things simpler...take a step back. I was just thinking of a blogpost about that same thing...finding the right balance!

Love the embroidery as well!

From All Stitched Up said...

I've loved catching up with you. Easter and the hotel stay sounded great. I love your pillow cases. Isaw you just got them from Alicia's book. I've just signed up for Alicia's sampler. Then maybe some pillow cases. It's good to slow down and enjoy the moments.

Pom Pom said...

Yes, I do know what you mean about simple, G.
Your day on the back porch with that beautiful needlework sounds PERFECT!

Kristyn Knits said...

hello gigi!
so good to see you back! your pillowcase is beautiful and stitching it on such a lovely back porch was probably a perfect way to spend some down time.
wishing you many more mild days!

Gigi said...

Hi Friends! Thanks so much for stopping in and for the sweet comments!
Blessings,
GG

Gumbo Lily said...

I have a front porch that is not good for sitting during the majority of the summer.....to many flies and bugs and heat. But it's nice right now.

Love, love, love your embroidery. You do such good work. Could we get a close-up when you're done?

Enjoy that slower pace.

Jody

Jodi said...

It looks so peaceful! I want to pull up a chair, grab some coffee, and knit a few rows with you.

Love the embroidery you're doing. I just finished some pillowcases a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pleased as punch with them! They're not nearly as fancy as yours, though.

Jessica said...

So pretty & peaceful.

Xx

wayside wanderer said...

So beautiful! Your place is lovely. And I love your cute shoes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...